In a message dated 1/29/2008 11:18:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Karpinski has worked to try to save the long-vacant Metropolitan  Hotel
on Asbury Avenue and the downtown Charms Building.

I thought both buildings were way beyond preservation.  Then I saw  this.
An amazing story about the restoration of a building which was in as bad
shape as the Metropolitan.  A Herculean task.

The Eldridge Street Synagogue on the Lower East Side is a place where
thousands worshiped, but which time and indifference almost destroyed. We  tell
the
story of this landmark building that would have been destroyed had  it not
been for the efforts of a few dedicated preservationists.

Clip available here:   _NEW YORK VOICES :  Restoring the Temple | Thirteen /
WNET New York_ (http://www.thirteen.org/nyvoices/features/temple.html)

Only bad memory of the Charms Building.  At one point, it contained  the
local offices of the IRS.  The random audit notice announced that the  name of
the
auditor assigned to me was Mr. Butcher.