In a message dated 2/20/2008  3:29:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

What was  surprising to me is how the members of the football team appeared
to care less  about
academics then sports.

Comparative data for the United States, the European Union after its first
major enlargement (EU-25), and Japan, China, and eight other selected Asian
economies (the Asia-10):  See  _S&E Indicators 2008_
(http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind08/)    Huge implications for what's
relevant when educating our
students.

>From the Director of the National Science Foundation  _A  conversation with
Dr. Arden Bement - Charlie Rose_
(http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2008/02/18/3/a-conversation-with-dr-arden-bement)

Our R&D concentration has flattened; it remains at 37% while Asia  has caught
up at 37% and Europe to 28%
We are now a primarily a knowledge-based economy, and those jobs are
increasing; but U.S. student show decreased interest in science and  technology
degress; those jobs are being filled by Asians.
In 5 years, China increased its number of degrees in those areas from  2% to
16%.

We need national, state, and local leadership to inspire a rededication to
educational goals; otherwise those diplomas and degrees are worth much less
than  we're paying for.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler."  Attributed  to
Albert Einstein

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)