In a message dated 6/29/2008 9:36:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Last  summer, the last use of The Baronet...But, who cares, right?...I
sincerely  hope that this lack of concern doesn't extend to Asbury Lanes when
it's
threatened.
Preservation: Plain-Jane vs. Majestic Artifacts:  Excerpts from   USA Today's
"Preservation efforts fall short."  _http://tinyurl.com/5st3de_
(http://tinyurl.com/5st3de)

Time and natural decay doom some. Others are sped along in the name of
progress, safety or simple neglect.

"The problem is they're nonrenewable  resources."

Preservation of historic buildings, bridges and other structures tends to
favor the grand, the notable and the notorious. But small farm houses, barns,
bridges, windmills and other ordinary items provide important insight....

"Without them, we get a distorted, romanticized view of the  past."
Plain-Jane looking hay barns or toll roads or mining camps  are easily
overlooked in the shadow of more majestic artifacts....
"It's only when you look around and see these things are  disappearing, you
think 'Oh, maybe we should hold on to these.'"
Not every ranch, outbuilding or bridge can or should be  saved, historians
say. Already, more than 80,000 properties are listed on the  National Register
of Historic Places....
The listing, though, is only an honorific designation and  doesn't provide
specific protections. That tends to come at the local level,  often through
zoning.... But there are never any guarantees the place will  survive.
_Preservation  efforts fall short, many historical sites disappear -
USATODAY.com_
(http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-06-28-historical-sites_N.htm)

fuel-efficient used cars.