--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Pitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Owning and running a financially successful club is difficult these
>days.

It's always been difficult, hasn't it? The Fastlane and the Pony
happened to be the ones that rose above the rest. There are dozens of
others over the years that didn't last a season. Nature of the biz.
The fact that the Fastlane did last as long as it did and thus has
the marketing built in makes the next owner's job that much less
difficult.

>People don't go
> out as much as they used to, and people get turned off to spending
>$10 or more to get in,
> and inflated prices for drinks.

Well, people of a certain age don't go out much. (Don't get mad, I'm
including myself in that). And they never did. People of a much lower
age will always go out because that's their job - to spend as little
time at home as possible, particularly in the summer. Even in a bad
economy, you book a band they really want to see, they'll go.
Particularly if they can bike there or take the side streets through
Avon and Bradley instead of hauling up the Parkway.

As to spending more than 10 bucks, I spent the better part of my
college years at the Wetlands and the only time I ever paid more than
10 was if it was a benefit show. You don't have to be charging an arm
and a leg to put on a good concert. Don't serve food. Do a Bill
Graham and fill the soda cups half with ice. Limit the alcohol to
plain old beer. You can't dance if you're dehydrated, and rock clubs
are no place for frou frou drinks anyway. ;)