>From today's AP Press:

Security cameras coming soon in Asbury Park

9 units to be placed throughout city

By NANCY SHIELDS
COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU
City police expect new surveillance cameras to be installed at different
sites in the city possibly by next month after getting enough money to
pay for it.

Police Chief Mark Kinmon said $267,000 is in place for the system and
nine cameras are planned at this point. The cameras will be mounted at
Bangs and Ridge avenues, Bangs and Prospect avenues, Springwood and
Ridge avenues, and at several locations on Main Street, Cookman Avenue
and the beachfront.

"We're looking to get started in October," Kinmon said Thursday. "We
think it's going to be very successful in terms of prevention and be
helpful on the investigative side as well."

The sources of the money are $132,000 from developer Madison Marquette,
$47,000 from the U.S. Department of Justice, $38,000 from Interfaith
Neighbors and $50,000 from the city's Urban Enterprise Zone program.

The city is contracting for the security system with Promedia Technology
Services Inc., a company that is based in Little Falls.

The new surveillance system is being installed at a time when Asbury
Park residents have experienced less crime in the past year. Kinmon said
the new technology can help increase police enforcement.

"A lot of positive things are happening in the city right now, and I
think this is just another means of ensuring those positive things
continue to happen," Kinmon said.

The new cameras will have a recording capacity of about two weeks.
Existing cameras at the police department, train station and municipal
parking lot will be tied into the new system. Dispatchers will monitor
two 42-inch flat screen monitors at headquarters, Kinmon said.

Councilman James Keady, an early proponent of increasing surveillance at
different city sites, said Thursday he is pleased "we finally reached
the day where we had financing in place to have the cameras in place."

"It's something I pushed hard for, and there was full council support to
get it accomplished," Keady said. "Mark Kinmon and the police department
worked very hard . . . and now we have another tool in our arsenal to
make our city safe."