What determines value?
A source once told me that the stock market is like attending a
ballet. But the value isn't in what price you put on the performance,
but what the majority of the audience thought of it.
Share value dillution is another issue and a big problem. But a
bigger one is the sophistication happening in the equity markets
today, where huge blocks are trading, or crossing, without anyone
knowing party A was trying to dump so many shares. They often trade
in what are called dark pools. The process is meant to ultimately
protect your retirement funds, for one example, from a drop in share
price due to market impact. But now other sophisticated players --
Bloomberg for one -- have figured ways to mine these deep pools, for
a price. So these customers will have information that the average
investor doesn't have. It's another blow to the SEC's on-going
efforts to keep the markets a level playing field for Joe Six-Pack,
if you will.
Maureen