For those of you who have read my report on the major drug bust
announced yesterday by State Attorney General Anne Milgram and County
Prosecutor Luis Valentin, on AsburyRadio.com, you may be confused
about the number arrested with gang affiliations versus the number
of "reputed gang members" as reported on the Asbury Park Press web
site today.

It took me three calls to the prosecutor's office today, but I got an
answer - and I listened to the Mp3s again. First the Mp3s:
Attorney General Milgram, who spoke first, said "Twenty-two of the
individuals arrested today have gang affiliations." Prosecutor
Valentin, referred to "approximately 20 gang members and a
significant number of fugitives", among the 50 arrested.
As for checking with the source, the Prosecutor's Office:
We've been told to rely on the press release, which identifies five
of those arrested as "members" of mainly the Bloods street gang, and
an additional 12 individually identified as "an associate" of a gang
(s). The source we spoke with referred us to the internet for the
distinction between the two.

For now, we are satisfied to say that there were a total of 17
individuals, among the 50 arrested, with street gang affiliations. Of
course that would imply that both the attorney general and the county
prosecutor misspoke.
This is vitally important to our community. Thanks for reading my
report.
Maureen