I find your post patronizing. I enjoy my house and living in AP, and I
understand the virtues of renting. I have bought and sold real estate
before. I was merely trying to express that there are many that may be
going through a bit of a confusing financial time bc of the markets
generally, and particularly in AP where the inventory of unsold condos
is making it even more difficult to determine value. (Even for people
who were not subprime borrowers). And value does matter if the banks
won't allow you to refinance because the house value has dropped too
much. And by the same token, you can't sell because of the competition.
I can't rent a second place if my payment adjusts too significantly.
So, I am "stuck" so to speak, and not looking forward to being gone 14
hours a day (with working in NYC) and having a baby. Maybe some of us
have the luxury of renting an apt in NYC while owning property in AP,
but not everyone is in that financial position.