An M.I.T. student from the "wrong side of the tracks" in Middletown wrote a
very long post about differences she's noticed in school systems.

Below are just three sentences to pique the interest of those interested in
the topic.

    *   And what about that student from Asbury Park, whose school district
had to spend to send him to a school that they hadn't even adequately
prepared him for?
    *       *   Now you tell me: do you think that students in Holmdel are
just  naturally that much smarter than students in Asbury Park? It must be
something in the water, right?...
    *       *   These experiences have really driven home to me, in a pretty
personal  way, the very real effect that socioeconomic status has
on...everything.  How you grow up, your childhood experiences, your worldview,
and most
importantly, your educational opportunities.

Her post is followed by comments by other students.  Interesting to hear
insights from those who've recently "been there."
(http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/learning/life_after_mit_careers_grad_school/crea
tive_title_here.shtml)      or   _http://tinyurl.com/6g2gwd_
(http://tinyurl.com/6g2gwd)