Dave's reference to  "The Debt Trap.   This HAS to be  addressed," and
Jennifer's comment that "It's a mess with emotional  complications and larger
tremors for the rest of the community prompt me to an  Op-Ed MARGARET ATWOOD,
October 21,  2008.

A Matter of Life and Debt

Debt — who owes what to whom, or to what, and how  that debt gets paid — is
a subject much larger than money....
As for what will happen to us next, I have no safe  answers. If fair
regulations are established and credibility is restored, people  will stop
walking
around in a daze, roll up their sleeves and start picking up  the pieces.
Things
unconnected with money will be valued more....
On the other hand, if fair regulations are not  established and rebuilding
seems impossible, we could have social unrest on a  scale we haven’t seen for
years.
Excerpted from   http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/opinion/22atwood.html?em

  _Op-Ed  Contributor - A Matter of Life and Debt - NYTimes.com_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/opinion/22atwood.html?em)