Brownfield?  Doesn't that designation first require some pollution?
Or at least the possibility of pollution?

I'd like to see the application that applied for this designation.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Brian Henderson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From a press release sent out by the DEP yesterday.  Does anyone
know any specifics about the project or what the timeline is for
things to start happening?

> The full press release.
>
> IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
> Nov. 5, 2008
>
> Contact: Elaine Makatura  (609) 292-2994
>              Lawrence Hajna  (609) 984-1795
>

> DEP DESIGNATES BROWNFIELD DEVELOPMENT AREAS FOR ASBURY PARK,
BELMAR,  HADDON TOWNSHIP AND SAYREVILLE

> (08/50) TRENTON -  The Department of Environmental Protection has
designated sections of Asbury Park, Belmar, Haddon Township and
Sayreville as Brownfield Development Areas, enabling these
municipalities to draw from the DEP's expertise and resources as
they redevelop, Commissioner Lisa P. Jackson announced today.

> "By virtue of this designation, the Brownfield Development Areas
in these communities are becoming the highest priority redevelopment
areas in the state," Commissioner Jackson said. "The DEP will work
closely with these municipalities, helping them achieve their vision
of developing thriving communities that will produce tax revenues,
jobs, and good homes, including affordable housing."

> The Springwood Avenue Brownfield Development Area, straddling
Asbury Park's Springwood Avenue from Memorial Drive west to Neptune
Township, was once a prosperous commercial district that pulsed to
the rhythms of jazz nightclubs.

> But riots during the late 1960s and early 1970s shattered this
prosperity, leaving the district a shell of burned-down buildings
and abandoned homes and businesses. Today, much of the area is
vacant or is contaminated by fuel from former filling stations.

> The city's redevelopment plan calls for a gateway-style community
that includes new businesses, a mix of residential units that
include affordable housing, a public water park, a passive park, and
restaurants. This Brownfield Development Area is adjacent to the
existing West Lake Avenue Brownfield Development Area in Neptune
Township.

> Belmar's Seaport Brownfield Development Area consists of vacant
land, a former boat repair garage, an automotive garage, automobile
dealerships, municipal complex, and parking lots near the Shark
River.

> The borough's redevelopment plan calls for a mixed residential and
commercial area following fishing village, Main Street and town
center motifs. Residential units will include senior citizen and
affordable housing.

> Haddon Township's Towne Centre at Haddon Brownfield Development
Area consists of industrial and commercial properties in the heart
of the township along Haddon Avenue between Center Street and Lake
Avenue. The properties include the former Dy-Dee diaper-laundering
operation.

> The township plans to tap into the area's proximity to the PATCO
Hi-Speedline as it develops the area into a mixed-use, transit-
oriented development that will include town homes and loft and
condominium units.

> The Sayreville Economic and Redevelopment Agency plans to
redevelop several parcels that make up the National Lead site along
the Raritan River and the adjacent Horseshoe Road/Atlantic Resources
Corp. Superfund site into a variety of uses, including residential,
retail, office, a waterfront promenade and amphitheater, and
community complex. The area is contaminated by past industrial
activities.

> The DEP launched the Brownfield Development Program in 2002.With
the four new designations, the DEP now oversees 26 Brownfield
Development Areas. Previously designated areas are in various stages
of investigation, cleanup and redevelopment.

> Municipalities that have been designated as Brownfield Development
Areas are eligible for grants of up to $5 million each year from the
DEP's Hazardous Discharge Site Remediation Fund for site
investigation and remediation. The DEP also assigns a case manager
to assist the communities in overseeing remediation, obtaining
financial assistance, and coordinating revitalization efforts with
other state agencies.

> Communities bring together various stakeholders to develop
applications for designation as a Brownfield Development Area. These
stakeholders include owners of contaminated properties, potentially
responsible parties, developers, community groups, technical
experts, and residents. Municipal adoption of a formal redevelopment
plan is a required component of the application.

> Municipalities interested in being considered in the 2009 round of
Brownfield Development Area designations may submit applications
from January through March 31, 2009.

> Applications must be submitted by a steering committee
representing the community and must include the boundaries of the
proposed Brownfield Development Area, sites to be addressed, and a
description of current activities within the area. Applicants must
demonstrate that their redevelopment plan is achievable.

Area initiative, go to: http://www.nj.gov/dep/srp/brownfields/