Here is how the math works.  Most investors would be looking for a 10%
rate of return, maybe more in this environment.  So if we calculate
how much money the meters could generate in a given year, we could
also figure out how much an investor would be willing to put up in an
upfront payment for the rights to that future stream of cash flow.
I believe there are about 2000 spots.  If we assume they each collect
50 cents an hour for 12 hours for each day of the summer we get the
following numbers (again these are just assumptions).  16 weeks of
summer times 7 days per week is 112 prospective days.  At 2000 meters,
12 hours per day at 50 cents (nothing assumed for off season) you
generate 1.344 million per year (the town could keep the fees from
parking tickets not assumed here).
The present value of that stream of free cash flows (assuming a 10
year deal with a 10% rate of return to the investor would be 8.258
million.  After 10 years the meters would revert back to the town's
ownership.  So using those numbers an investor would be willing to put
up 8.258 million to the town up front for the right to collect 1.344
million per year for 10 years.  The investor gets a 10% return, Asbury
get's a big up front payment to bridge a budget gap and the meters
revert back to the town after year 10 so Asbury doesn't mortgage its
future earnings power.

Dan S.