I just spoke with Laurie at the Foodbank of Monmouth and Ocean  Counties.

At the website, you can find lots of ways to help: >>>>   foodbankmoc.org

The video specific to Monmouth/Ocean is here:   >>>>
http://tinyurl.com/5846ua

But I had a few specific questions for her:

1. What's preferable: cash or food donations?

2. How efficient/effective are the local supermarket programs which  provide
the option to donate at checkout.

3. Why are those options available only during the holiday season when
hunger knows no season?

4. Why is it that the appeal for cash donations isn't emphasized on the web
site as much as several intermediate fund raisers are?

In brief, her answers:
The FoodBank can purchase more food per dollar donated than we can by
donating food items.

The supermarket donations at check out are very effective and go directly  to
the Monmouth/Ocean chapters.  High praise,especially, for Wegmans  employees
who actively promote the drive.

She concurred with the Wegmans' executives I spoke with last year:
Year-round appeals tend to result in compassion fatigue, and people then tend
ignore the appeals.

Regarding question 4 above, no direct answer, but I inferred the following
from our discussion:  The mall gift-wrapping, the gift tags, et al. appeal  to
many people who want to help in some visible way; however, cash remains  king.

"Mai l'esprit de la saison restera dans votre coeur toujours."   (Thanks to
Sharon for the French lesson.)

_The FoodBank of Monmouth and  Ocean Counties_
(http://foodbankmoc.org/index.html)