In a message dated 12/15/2008 10:33:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
oakd...@yahoo.com writes:

--- In  AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, marioa...@... wrote:
I just spoke  with Laurie at the Foodbank of Monmouth and Ocean  She
concurred with the  Wegmans' executives I spoke with last year:  Year-round
appeals
tend  to result in compassion fatigue, and people then tend to  ignore the
appeals.

I thought Wegs was y round. I'll say ok to a $1 or more at  checkout based on
guilt.
- if you buy candy, ice cream or soda (things you  really don't need...)

We tip more for booze and lousy food. Imagine  tipping the food bank 15% of
your food order.

===============================

Wegs'  has posted that their donate-at-checkout service ends  around 12/22.
I had a go-around with them last year, and vented about it  here.

But now FoodBank's Laurie has confirmed the compassion fatigue syndrome  that
Wegs mentioned back then.
Everything is a syndrome these days.  Some seem bogus to me, like  Restless
Leg Syndrome which sounds like a drug company marketing  invention.

But I can identify with compassion fatigue; I first experienced it thanks  to
Sally Struthers' appeals on late night TV.
Now, thanks to Wiki, I learn that I was not alone: "The ironic disparity
between her activism for starving children and her own weight gain was
parodied"
in South Park's Starvin' Marvin episodes.

You're right about the guilt thing about unnecessary purchases,
so I figure the sting of pointing to the $5 bar code is more humane  and a
technological improvement over the pain of self-flagellation or the  discomfort
in wearing a hair shirt in Press Plaza.

It's also more effective than saying three Hail Marys.    ;-)