Installation of the awnings on the 1st Ave Pavilion has started. I stopped to
take a closer
look and take some photos.

I know most will say 'They look nice'. However I want to point out some
technical details
that were  - Overlooked.

The awnings appeared in the Planning Board renderings to be functional parts of
the
buildings. Solid and  useful to keep people out of the rain. The reality is
that they are superficial design elements, very poorly designed.

First - They are open on top, not solid. There are open slats perpendicular to
the
building wall. No protection from rain or snow. Isn't that the basic purpose of
awnings or canopies? To offer protection from the elements? Standing under
these will get you just
as wet as standing in the street.

Second - The slats are angled and shaped like wings creating a louver with the
open top
side facing North. The prevailing winds in this area come from the north,
especially the
most objectionable weather. That wind and rain will be captured by the 'wings'
and
directed down right on top of whoever is foolish enough to stand under these
awnings in
an attempt to stay dry.

Completely useless - Bad design, non functional, No accounting for local
weather
conditions, No thought as to what awnings are for - to provide protection from
the
elements and make things comfortable for ones customers and tenants.

Another example of architects having no practical real life experience. But it
'looks nice'.

Werner