--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "dfsavgny" <dfsav...@...> wrote:

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, MarioAPNJ@ wrote:
> >
> > At one point, I thought the ideas being floated about an office
> corridor on
> > Cookman close-by sounded pretty good.
> >
> > Since we are not a "major city," does the following make AP more
or
> less
> > viable?
"Vacancy rates in office buildings exceed 10 percent in virtually
every major city in the country and are rising rapidly, a sign of
economic distress that could lead to yet another wave of problems for
troubled lenders...."

> Less viable

I think AP could and should attract many more office space users.  It
would not necessarily compete with more typical suburban office
buildings, but would offer attractive alternatives that many smaller
companies like.  Architectural, design, marketing, publishing,
advertising, fashion, internet, etc. firms seem like natural fits.
Small professional services firms (law, accounting, investment,
mortgage) would probably follow.  Train and road access is good, and
there is enough vacant land to work out parking issues.
Entertainment, retail, and residential are all well and good, but
commercial uses like these could round out the mix.  I think if the
City and property owners made more of an effort, they could attract
firms, despite the higher vacancies in other markets.