Yes, Cathryn, it is true.
I can't reveal my source, but the person works with a theater group in the
area, who toured the building and had had its lawyer contact iStar's legal
representative. The group was prepared to put several million dollars into
rehabbing the building. Before those principals could move on in negotiations,
the building was ordered demolished.

Now the site is entitled to a tax reduction and is free to be sold for condo
development. In case you don't know, when a site is sold for that purpose, the
sale price is based on the number of units that can be built on the lot. That's
why density is favored in these developments -- not necessarily because the
number of units works best for the community. (You probably won't hear too many
real estate people complain though.)
And that developer will probably be grandfathered into a tax abatement to
extend to his buyers, because that is what the other "fast track" developers
got in order to attract them into a "blighted" and therefore hi-risk situation.
Since the world economy is in a slump, they may argue that they, too, should
have such tax relief. That relief will excuse the unit owners from schools tax
and most of the tax levied by the county.
Maureen