Yeah!  The Marines are part of the Navy, which my husband served 4 years as a
"brown water sailor" aboard destroyers which earned him another name, which
Navy veterans know as "tin can sailors".  The Navy, kiddingly have a saying
that the Marines were formed so that Sailors would have someone to DANCE with!
When speaking in military speak, those who served are referred to as, "Soldiers
and Sailors" to denote ALL who served.  For anyone who has worked for the Navy,
which I have, Marines are understood because they are a PART of the Navy.
There is no Marine Academy; only the Naval Academy and yes, Marines train at
Quantico, VA while the Navy trains at Great Lakes, IL
Technically you were a GI, (government issue), so don't make one part of the
service "better" because my husband also served in the National Guard.  Each
branch serves the entire United States.