____________________________________
 From: r...@tristatestormwatch.com
To: asburyst...@aol.com
Sent: 2/1/2011  8:33:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Evening Weather Update - February  1st

Approaching  StormFREEZING DRIZZLE ALL AREAS  THIS EVENING

HEAVIER PRECIPITATION MOVES IN  AFTER MIDNIGHT...FREEZING RAIN CHANGING TO
RAIN  COASTAL SECTIONS

HEAVY FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET  INTERIOR SECTIONS AND NORTHERN NJ MAKING FOR
DIFFICULT  COMMUTE

Membership Feedback

FEBRUARY 1ST - 7PM
Temperatures have  slipped below freezing throughout the entire  area.
Freezing drizzle is also occurring but  with no significant precipitation until
later tonight,  roadways should remain just wet even as colder and
elevated receive a light coating of ice.
North of I-78, the  temperature has remained below freezing all day so
icing occurred this morning and conditions will remain  slippery throughout the
evening.
As heavier  precipitation moves in later tonight, the warmer air  returns.
For all coastal sections and the  southern 1/4 of NJ, freezing rain will
change to all  rain before morning.  For interior sections from  just north of
Philly, through interior Monmouth,  interior northern Ocean, northern
Burlington, Mercer  and Middlesex, freezing rain will continue through the
morning commute before changing to rain with icy  conditions likely.
North of these counties  through the I-78 corridor and NYC, icing will
continue  through mid-morning with hazardous conditions likely  along with the
threat of some power outages.
North of I-80 and up to  the NY/NJ border, heavy icing is likely with
travel  difficult through much of the daylight hours.
All precipitation will  end around Noon, so it will be moving in and out
rather quickly.
Cold air follows  Thursday and Friday.  A storm system will be  moving up
along the coast on Saturday, but there is  very little cold air in the area
and no cold high  pressure to our north, so this could very well be rain  on
the coast with a wintry mix inland.
Additional rain early  next week followed by a brief blast of bitter  cold.
 It looks like the prevailing weather  pattern has definitely changed and
it is the midwest  and Ohio Valley states turn to enjoy the best (or  worst)
that Winter 2010-11 has to offer.  Our  area will be on the east side of the
prevailing storm  track which means rain when there is storminess.   How
long does this pattern last?  Probably until  we get a return to the high
latitude blocking that we  saw in December and early January.  When that
happens is anyone's guess at this point.

FEBRUARY 1ST -  7AM
Temperatures are above  freezing along immediate coastal sections of New
Jersey. Inland sections remain below freezing.   As anticipated in last
evening's update precipitation  is very light with the exception of extreme
northern  NJ (north of I-80) where snow and sleet will fall and  accumulate 2
4 inches.
Tuesday afternoon and  evening will see some drizzle which will likely
freeze  on colder surfaces over inland sections.
Late tonight, heavy  precipitation moves in.  Temperatures will have
cooled a bit so this precipitation will likely start  as sleet or freezing rain
for south and coastal  sections; however, these areas should change to rain
relatively quickly.
Along Route 1 and  points north and west, the icing will be more  prolonged
before a change to rain and the commute on  Wednesday morning will likely
be quite slippery.
North of I-80 and  towards the NY/NJ border, heavy icing is a possibility
well into Wednesday morning.  Parts of this area  may never go above
freezing so travel will be  difficult and loss of power could be an issue.
In and around the NYC  area, there will also be icing concerns but with
temps  only slightly below freezing, treated roadways should  remain just wet.
Precipitation will be  heavy Wednesday morning but it all ends by  midday.
A couple of cold days will follow the  storm on Thursday and Friday.
A coastal storm  threatens for Saturday but by the then the cold air  will
have retreated to the north and east, so there  could be a wet snow/rain mix
from this storm.
There are some signs  that the pattern may be changing to a more
traditional  La Nina pattern which favors more storminess in the  middle part
of the
country and a "dry when cold/warm  when wet" pattern in the east.  We'll see
if this  is something that is consistency advertised by the  forecast
guidance in the coming days.
JANUARY 31ST - 9PM
The guidance this  evening is a bit warmer for the first part of the  storm
and a bit lighter with the precip over central  and southern sections.  So
those area may get  away with only a light amount of sleet.  I do  think
that coastal sections will be warm enough so  that any precip during the day on
Tuesday is  rain...and even that should be relatively light.
For tonight and  tomorrow, going to revise the forecast to indicate an
accumulation of less than an inch of snow/sleet for  south and coastal
sections.  1 to 2 inches in  central NJ and 2 to 4 inches north of I-80.
Will continue to look  at the second piece of the storm coming in Tuesday
night and Wednesday, but my feeling is that this is  also going to trend
warmer and the areas of icing and  snow may be shifted to the north by 30 miles
or so but  that does not diminish the threat for heavy icing if  you live
in inland northern NJ.
JANUARY 31ST
A very deep trough over  the southwest US will send an impulse eastward
tonight. Snow should develop over all sections  sometime after midnight but
before Tuesday  morning.  Snow will change to sleet early Tuesday  morning
over south NJ and all coastal sections.   Sleet will continue until midday for
most of interior  central NJ and all of northern NJ.  All  precipitation
ends Tuesday afternoon.
Accumulations of snow  and sleet by midday Tuesday look to be in the 1 to 2
 inch range for south and coastal sections.  2 to  4 inches in central NJ
with 3 to 6 inches possible  north of  I-80.
Meanwhile, a major  storm will be moving across the Ohio Valley states
Tuesday night.  Precipitation redevelops late  Tuesday night.  A bit of cold
air will return  over the area behind the Tuesday morning impulse, so  many
areas will start out as sleet.  Sleet will  change to rain from southeast to
northwest., but the  changeover line will be slow to progress northward for
areas north and west of Route 1.  As you move  farther into northern NJ,
snow will change to sleet;  however, precipitation may remain of the frozen
variety once north of I-80.
So for details on  Tuesday night and Wednesday:  For areas south of  I-195
and coastal Monmouth County - Sleet late Tuesday  night changes to heavy
rain Wednesday morning and ends  in the early afternoon.  Close call on the
Wednesday commute as the changeover will be right  around that time period.
Route 1 corridor -  Sleet will be more prolonged with significant icing
until a change to rain around mid-morning.
North of I-78 and NYC  area - Starts as snow, then a lot of sleet before
rain  around late morning.  2 to 4 inches of snow and  sleet.  Significant
icing.  Precip ends by  mid-afternoon.
North of I-80 to NY/NJ  border - Snow changes to sleet and freezing rain,
probably no change to rain.  4 to 8 inches of  snow and sleet.
Interior NY state/I-84  corridor - All snow....1 to 2 feet
Will update as  necessary.
Potential for another  storm on Saturday.

© Tri-State Storm Watch. All rights  reserved.
If  you are unable to read this e-mail, please go to:
_http://www.tristatestormwatch.com/pages/forecast_
(http://www.tristatestormwatch.com/pages/forecast) .
Tri-State  Storm Watch 1234 Any Street Shark River Hills NJ USA
If you do not wish to  receive messages from us, _click  here_
(http://www.tristatestormwatch.com/livesite/unsubscribe.php?email_address=asburysteve@aol
.com) .

Steve  Herman, Asbury Tower, 1701 Ocean  Ave