A quote from Maureen's report at asburyradio.com...

"The road to purgatory is paved with good intentions," said Aaron.

Flash back to 1999......

"The recent discussions about what is reality in Asbury Park concern me. It
appears that people giving opinion are newcomers and have no real cumulative
experience or foundation regarding what has transpired here.

Asbury Park faces the greatest threat it ever has right now due to the
supposed progress with the waterfront. Doesn't is concern anybody that this
entire deal is being done without public or professional planning input? This
rush to "get things going" is what will destroy the long term future of Asbury
Park.

High-rises and townhouses as specified in the 10+ year old waterfront plan are
apparently being discussed by the new council as part of this settlement. To me
this is a sad day for Asbury Park that wastes an opportunity found no where
else in this country.

Werner Baumgartner "

and...

"Dale, John, Charlie, others

Thanks for taking an interest in this issue. I will attempt to answer your
messages collectively. Sorry if I miss addressing any specific questions, just
post again and I'll reply.

First let me dispel some misconceptions. Urban redevelopment is not an issue of
old Vs new, historic Vs contemporary, or what you like Vs what I like. Creating
a museum or doing "spot preservation" (Palace) are also generally not
techniques that are used except in unique cases.

The issue is the process that creates the greatest good for the greatest
number. The concept of "public trust". In the context of an urban pre-existing
infrastructure that means evaluating what you have, determining what is
valuable and planning to add to that value and not diminish it. Taking care so
that you do not create something that will interfere with other needs in the
foreseeable future. Preservation and forward looking planning coexisting.

In essence finding the position of strength so that additional investment has a
solid foundation and creates greater total value. This is very different from
traditional development that works off a clean slate by nature (green space) or
by design (leveling of the pre-existing). Or the practice of attempting to
"fix" perceived problems or do spot development (demolition, gated communities,
townhouses, etc.)

By building on the unique character, assets and heritage of a community,
continuity between past, present and future is maintained that fosters
community pride, increased reinvestment and sense of place. In Asbury Park we
have a major problem since the current redevelopment plan does not address this
intrinsic value identification process. That plan was formulated to generate
the most tax revenue in the shortest time using high density large scale
clearing and construction practices. It does not address the long term
viability and "people factors"of the community.

Asset based planning and design are now the hallmarks of high quality/value
redevelopment as opposed to what was done in the 80s and 90s. which what we
have to work off of. To further complicate things, we have no redevelopment
board, advisory board, or even a city planner on staff. In this case the power
to direct redevelopment is vested in the City Council exclusively.

This deal could conceivably be crafted without any other input using an
obsolete plan and not considering the current state-of-the-art in urban
rehabilitation. There are other good reasons to use current practices. It gives
us leverage when applying for public funds. Additional points on applications
are given to communities that conform to State planning guidelines. (look at
www.njstateplan.com under resources or publications, "Designing New Jersey" is
an excellent book)
..."

These and numerous other critiques over the next 11 years have earned me the
right to say "... told you so" regarding where we are now.

Werner, City Historian Emeritus