I moved to the northwest section of AP 3 months ago, and I love living here.
What's upsetting lately, though, is the increase of burglaries taking place in
our neighborhood.

Two weeks ago, my next door neighbor's house was burglarized. The thieves stole
their new washer/dryer, dishwasher, and tried to take the stove but it wouldn't
fit through the door.  I was away for the weekend and the neigbhor's primary
residence is in Manhattan.  No one saw a thing, or at least -- no one called
police.  The contractors working on the house discovered the burglary Monday
morning.

Last night, I was out on my deck with 2 friends, and 2 men entered the (same)
neighbor's backyard and walked up to the back door as if they lived there.  As
I called the police, my friend said to them, "Excuse me, sir?  What are you
doing there? You don't live there."  One of the men said, "I'm checking on it
for them... I'm checking the door... I work for the City..."  Police arrived
within minutes and spoke to the 2 men, who supposedly live on Prospect behind
me.  I do not know the outcome of their conversation, but believe me -- my
neighbors did not ask these two to check on the house.

So the moral of the store is: if something doesn't look right, it probably
isn't.  CALL THE POLICE.  The increased presence will hopefully get the message
across to would-be burglars...