As someone who spent all of yesterday in Colonial Williamsburg (I had a
lecture at the College of William and Mary) and part of today in Manhattan
with the Occupy Wall Street community, I take issue with some of the
criticisms being levied here on both Occupy Wall Street and the fledgling
Occupy Asbury Park.

First, movement building takes time.  I can attest to this with near fifteen
years under my belt as a full-time educator/organizer in the world of social
justice.  To charge that the OWS group has not seized the moment is to not
completely understand what is happening.  From what I saw and experienced
today, measured against my personal experience in grassroots organizing and
my years of study, I will attest that this is how revolutions begin.  It is
disorganized and messy and organic.  You are watching history.  Wait and
see.

Second, with regard to the Occupy Asbury Park crowd meeting at Bond Street
Bar (and thus my mention of Colonial Williamsburg), the American Revolution
was discussed, debated, and planned in part at the Raleigh Tavern in
Williamsburg.  Do not discount this effort.  Again, wait and see.

Peace, JWK

--
Jim Keady, Director
Educating for Justice, Inc.