--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Michael Downing <mkdown13@...> wrote:

> That's hitting the nail on the head!  I've posted about this previously - for
> all the debate about parking and what's happening in AP, the real problem
> downtown has to do with specialty retailers that do not draw mainstream
> consumers.  Asbury has a wealth of restaurants, coffee shops, and bars but
> there is no real base of business to bring people to Cookman or Bangs or
> Lake, etc.  What exactly is the town/Chamber/MM doing to transform the town
> into a more vibrant retail sector that can support business?

Most people work during the day. The will not be available to shop here during
the week if they are not working here. Most parts of Battery Park City retail
are DEAD during the weekdays (except summer during lunchtime). The business
there serve the residents who live there and who frequent the shops before and
after work.

The key is to having weekday traffic is to bring in a lot of employment. That I
think is tough but not impossible. Not an easy problem to solve. Restaurants
are the key for now and also the shops that are not available elsewhere. Why go
to Ap for something you can get closer by (non APer) and is available nearly
everywhere? People who do not live here will come here because it has something
they can get where they are (including "coolness" its okay to laugh).