It's really unfortunate.  One of my favorite styles of architecture, generally
looked down upon by the masses (and to an extent, the architecture community).
At least the restaurant portion has been revered by the masses.  Usually takes
30 years for something to be considered classic. For example, in the 80's
redevelopment plans the HoJo's building would have been completely torn down.
Larger scale preservation efforts as a whole have only begun to trend more
towards this style of architecture in the last decade or so.

I do disagree with you on one thing, that the building can never return to
being a landmark.  The supports for the walkways still exist and it would be
very feasable to reconstruct them.  The canopy over the stage needs work, and
new seating is obviously necessary, but other than that the building retains
its same basic form.

While in my opinion the original brickwork was better than what is there now,
the 'stucco' isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world... if you look at
some of the restorations of "doo-wop" hotels in the wildwoods, many of them are
able to incorporate more modern day techniques and still keep a retro feel (the
Empress has even done a nice job of this). The most important aspect of this
building's architecture is its form.  That all still exisits.  Air conditioning
units can be concealed with some creative design techniques... but that mustard
color has to go.  Yuck.