On 12 Jul 2021, at 13:36, Faré wrote:

Would the "stable" branch be any different from the "release" branch?
If it's actually a not-so-stable development branch for 3.3 while a
separate branch contains development for 3.4, then maybe indeed
calling branches v3.3 and v3.4 make more sense.

Yes, it would, because this branch would be where we put fixes to the released branch while, on `main`, we develop code for 3.4.

I was thinking of not calling the branch `v3.3` because if we ever get past 3.4, we would want a maintenance branch for 3.4, while `main` would be for 3.5 or 4 depending on what the future holds.

I have a mild preference for having the maintenance branch, whatever we call it, just point to whatever has been released and is accumulating bug fixes. I figured that having a `stable` would be like having a `main`, instead of renaming `main` to whatever the upcoming version number is. Just like Debian has `stable` and `testing`, but the precise meaning of these changes over time.

I'm willing to be argued out of this, as I was argued out of `dev` in favor of `main`, but I am not convinced by the arguments for `v3.3` versus `stable` yet. What makes us need `v3.3` instead of stable if we don't need `v3.4` instead of `main`?

The knowable universe is everything, as far as we can know.