> Mostly sounds good to me. Assuming you're still interested in more
> expressive version numbers and constraints for 3.4, I'll work on moving
> that off the back burner.

Adding fine-grained version constraints would be a big mistake. Where they've
already been implemented (Ruby, Python, Haskell), they've invariably lead to
authors selecting overly restrictive contraints because there's no automatic
way to determing the minimum version required from dependencies.
In turn, that makes even installing a package a nightmare because it often
leads to unsatisfiable dependencies and having to (manually) backtrack until
one can find a combination of compatible packages. The distribution model that
Quicklisp has, by snapshotting the "world" once a month and ensuring that they
all compile is much better so let's keep it that way.

If you think I'm exagerating, ask people that are familiar with the process of
having to update a Ruby webapp (or a Jekyll blog with many plugins), or even a
Python virtualenv-based server. Especially the Ruby community went down this
rabbit hole to far that it's no wonder they were the first to adopt Docker back
in the days: instead of subjecting users to the dance of "let's see if I can
even get this to install" they ended up shipping a whole container as a
workaround.

--
Stelian Ionescu