The initial commit in git is:

commit c58257d94bfae7d5a2f527fc1f2d587a0fef8222
Author: Daniel Barlow <>
Date:   Wed Aug 1 17:52:49 2001 +0000

    Initial revision

If you want to find out when he actually started working on it, you
should ask Daniel which day he started working on it—or maybe dig the
archives of some old forums (sbcl-devel? comp.lang.lisp?).

In any case, you'll have to wait two more years for the 25th
anniversary of ASDF. But this year, you can celebrate the 11th
anniversary of ASDF 3! Wow. Time flies.

“I have never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great
satisfaction.”  — Clarence Darrow