I think we should add this link, as well as a link to the original
README in git (which I suppose subsumes the original defsystem
proposal link in the archived email) somewhere in doc/index.html.

Looking at said doc/index.html, I see that a lot of references to
historical ASDF alternatives were commented out—why not keep them, if
only in a separate paragraph or section? Or move them somewhere deep
in the manual? I believe they have historical value, too.

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it
from religious conviction.”  ― Blaise Pascal (1623–1662)