On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Benoit POSTE wrote:

>    Sorry, me again ...
>
> Bancroft Scott wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Benoit POSTE wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > >    First, in the case of a two part RootComponentTypeList (with
> > > an ExtensionAdditions in the middle), do we encode first the
> > > whole RootComponentTypeList and then the ExtensionAdditions (as
> > > in PER) or are the ComponentTypes encoded in the lexical order
> > > (first the first part of the RootComponentTypeList, then the
> > > ExtensionAdditions, then the second part of the
> > > RootComponentTypeList)?
> >
> > No.  In DER SEQUENCE is are encoded in textual order, and SET
> > is encoded in canonical tag order.
> <snip>
>
>    Does this mean that EstensionAdditionGroups may be split when
> DER encoded? Here an example:
>
> Digit ::= INTEGER (0..9)
> Toto ::= SET
>   {
>       u       [5] Digit,      -- v0
>       ...,
>       v       [1] Digit,      -- v1
>       [[
>       w       [2] Digit,
>       x       [6] Digit
>       ]],                     -- v2
>       y       [7] Digit       -- v3
>   }
>
> X.680 26.3 is fulfilled, so Toto should be a valid ASN.1 type ...
> would DER encode it v(v1), w(v2), u(v0), x(v2), y(v3)?
>
>    Thanks again for your time and patience :).

I don't have X.680 handy at the moment, but if you check the docs you will
see that SET requires that new extension additions MUST use tags that are
canonically greater than any other existing tag in the SET, so the above
is invalid ASN.1.

Bancroft Scott                               Toll Free    :1-888-OSS-ASN1
OSS Nokalva                                  International:1-732-302-0750
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 Tech Support :1-732-302-9669 x-1
1-732-302-9669 x-200                         Fax          :1-732-302-0023
http://www.oss.com