Bancroft Scott wrote:

<snip>
> I don't have X.680 handy at the moment, but if you check the docs you will
> see that SET requires that new extension additions MUST use tags that are
> canonically greater than any other existing tag in the SET, so the above
> is invalid ASN.1.

   That's what I'd really like it to be, for sure. Unfortunately
here is what I got from 26.3 :
<<
26.3 The "ComponentType" types in a set type shall all have
different tags. (See clause 30.) The tag of each new
"ComponentType" added to the "AdditionalComponentTypeList" shall
be canonically greater (see 6.4) than those of the other
components in the "AdditionalComponentTypeList".

   I says "the other components in the
AdditionalComponentTypeList", and not "any other component of the
Set type" ... :(

   Do you mean that "greater than any other component in the
SetType" is what was meant in the first place? Of course it makes
decoding and encoding quite a bit easier, but is it correct to
interpret it that way?

   On the other hand, it could be my copy of the norm, but I
thought 1997 was the latest ...

   Benoit.