I must admit that there's nothing that's really "it" in CPAN.  A few months
ago I spent a lot of time looking through the modules that Joshua described
and never found what I wanted.  I didn't know about phpLens until now, but
it looks sweet.  Instead, I've been writing some Apache::ASP tags that, if I
do say so myself, nicely abstract away a lot of the database code.  I'm only
concerned with view and search (not editting (data entry), which I believe
to be a separate can of worms for all but the simplest databases).  I hope
to release it some day.

The basic idea is

<dbb:form>
<dbb:table table="foo" DSN=$DSN />
</dbb:form>

and it magically inserts a paginated, CSS savvy, searchable table to your
HTML document.
It relies on simple meta-data in the database to control things like layout
of numerics, etc. and you can write your own little perl "rendering" methods
to display a cell of a table however you like.  Additional tags
<dbb:selection> and <dbb:qset> allow for exporting a selection set or the
results of a query to a tab delimited or Excel output.

Sound interesting to anyone besides me?  If so, I might put more energy into
making a releasable package.

-d