Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
I have an interesting problem with UTF-8 charset and Apache::ASP

The problem is that the ASP code runs with the LANG environment variable unset. (I'm not sure if it's Apache or mod_perl doing this.) In this situation, the Perl interpreter runs without Unicode support. I posted about a similar problem on the 25th of last month, which you may find enlightening.

I'm not sure what the right solution to the problem is. There are a number of things that could be done. In order of my preference:

1. Find out who is unsetting LANG, and make 'em stop it.

2. Convert your database to UTF-8. In this case, Perl will pass the data without change, since it doesn't change >128 characters when running in Unicode-free mode.

3. Find another way besides the LANG variable to ask Perl to enable its Unicode support. Perhaps there's a compile-time option?

4. Somehow force LANG to be set properly for your locale. I'm not sure if you can set this early enough to make the Perl interpreter see it.

5. Do the charset conversion by hand. The disadvantage to this approach is that it's easy to tie your code to one locale, making it nonportable.