Josh Chamas wrote:

PerlSetEnv LANG $LANG

Does this resolve the UTF8 issues?

It probably will. I really like it that you can keep the same LANG variable as the system uses. I wouldn't like to have hard-coded it.

Right now, the stable version of my program has worked around this issue simply by building in understanding of where the conversions between UTF-8 and ISO 8859 occur. In my development version, I had intended to try for keeping data UTF-8 through the entire pipeline, so I will try this. Thanks.