If anyone is interested,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUI.asp?frame=true is the msdn section dealing with the
System.Web.UI namespace.

My guess is that 80% of what's there is unnecessary to get the desired
functionality.  By chance or fate, 80% of what's there has no place in a
perl implementation of similar functionality, because of the tools
already available within perl.

I figure we would need to emulate the functionality of: System.Web.UI
(as a base class, and defining certain constants).

o  System.Web.UI.Control (base class, inherited by all default and
custom controls).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUIControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

o  System.Web.UI.ControlCollection (this functionality could be rolled
into System.Web.UI.Control).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUIControlCollectionClassTopic.asp?frame=true

o  System.Web.UI.IPostBackDataHandler & IPostBackEventHandler
(inheritable interface that allows controls to handle how their postback
data is handled).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUIIPostBackDataHandlerClassTopic.asp?frame=true

o  System.Web.UI.Page (represents an .aspx file, and is used as a base
class when creating a web forms class in codebehind mode).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassTopic.asp?frame=true

o  System.Web.UI.PageParser (parses .aspx files).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUIPageParserClassTopic.asp?frame=true

o  System.Web.UI.TemplateBuilder (supports the PageParser in building a
template and the child controls it contains).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUITemplateBuilderClassTopic.asp?frame=true

o  System.Web.UI.TemplateControl (inheritable base class.  Provides the
Page class and UserControl class a base set of functionality).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUITemplateControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

o  System.Web.UI.UserControl (represents an .ascx file which implements
and/or extends the TemplateControl class to produce some functionality
or html).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUIUserControlClassTopic.asp?frame=true

o  System.Web.UI.UserControlControlBuilder (Does a recursive descent
into the sub-controls contained within a UserControl, building them as
it goes, so that UserControls can contain other controls inside them).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfSystemWebUIUserControlControlBuilderClassTopic.asp?frame=true

Let me make myself clear.  I do not want to duplicate the entire ASP.NET
thing in perl.  I merely wish to skim the good stuff off the top and
move along.  In fact, there's more I dislike about ASP.NET than there is
I *do* like about it.  However, I recognize some things there that could
save me loads of time on a large-scale project.

Mason has some similar functionality with its *.mas components
http://www.masonbook.com/book/chapter-1.mhtml#TOC-ANCHOR-3 but lacks the
PostBack way of dealing with round-trip forms (as with server-side form
validation).  It also lacks the built-in ability to do things like
append listitems to a <select> tag.

John Drago | Chief Architect of Software Development
E-com Media Group, Inc. [www.e-commedia.com]
office
::
 303.790.7940 x25
email
::
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

E - b u s i n e s s   w i t h   D i m e n s i o n TM

http://dir.nodeworks.com