Well you probably already thought of this but:
It appears that the global.asa (and thus Example::Image.pm) get
compiled into different
packages then templates/masthead.tmpl.
Do you have UniquePackages 0 or 1 ?
Maybe this is caused by a template package you are using ,is this an
asp script or another one?
If the problem actually _ is _ the different packages then you can of
cause solve it with
PerlRequire / startup script or something like that.
Thanks
Evgeny