On 12/27/2013 17:04, Josh Chamas wrote:

it does seem that there is some progress on getting
mod_perl to work under Apache 2.4.

I was aware of such efforts when I posted, but didn't mention the option since this third-party mod_perl work feels like a temporary solution. We don't want to use a hack to get us through to RHEL 8, then be back in the same stew pot.

Besides, we already have an effective option for limping by. RHEL 5 and 6 will still be useful to us for years, and RHEL 7 is probably a large fraction of a year from release. This gives us enough time to move to a system we won't have to replace again in another 3 years.

The question is, will that system be Apache::ASP 3? Apache::ASP::TNG? Apache::ASP::TheSearchForSPDY?

What would it take to migrate the full ASP model to Plack + mod_fcgid? (http://plackperl.org/) That seems to be the way the cool kids are doing their Perl web frameworks these days. Is it just a matter of replacing all the Apache::Foo module calls with Plack or PSGI equivalents? I assume all the MLDBM stuff doesn't have to change.

From our point of view, Apache::ASP has two main pieces: the ASP object model and the ASP/JSP/PHP style template system.

We could probably automate a conversion of our entire app from ASP style templating to Mason, Mojo::Template or Template::Toolkit in a week, tops. Tedious, but technically trivial.

The real thing keeping us on Apache::ASP -- besides inertia -- is the ASP object model.

Most of the ASP object model has direct replacements in any reasonable Perl web framework, such that conversion is about as trivial as converting the templating code.

$Session is the only object that looks hard to convert from. We have hundreds of references to that object in our app, and state management is the sort of thing that gets done a zillion different ways. There probably is no existing Perl web framework that does it quite the same way as Apache::ASP.

We also have to consider backwards compatibility. If we move the app to another framework, we effectively fork our code base, requiring parallel development on any feature that has to be backported to prior versions. (Or, we have to replace each existing site's Apache::ASP deployment in-place to do a version upgrade.)

It might be worth taking the time it would take to convert to another web framework and put it into an Apache::ASP 3 effort.

I'm feeling equivocal about that, though. There are faster frameworks, and greater popularity confers direct tangible benefits.

Feh.