On Jul 17, 2015, at 1:16 PM, Cris Boisvert <c...@usai.net> wrote:

> Trying to get apache with asp and mod perl working.

On what platform?  Specifically, which versions of Apache, mod_perl, and Perl
are you using?

> I get this error in the logs.
>
> [asp] [1349] [error] error compiling test.asp: Can't modify constant item in
> scalar assignment at /var/www/site/test.asp line 16, at EOF <--> ,
> /usr/share/perl5/Apache/ASP.pm line 1466

I’ve never seen that one.  It means Apache::ASP couldn’t compile an *.asp or
*.inc file, but I couldn’t say why.

What I can tell you is that Apache::ASP really hasn’t been updated
significantly since the days when mod_perl was the standard way to deploy Perl
web apps, which hasn’t been true for quite some time now.  The Perl world has
moved on to Plack/PSGI and FastCGI instead, and mod_perl has been left to
bit-rot.  It’s gotten to the point that RHEL 7 and its derivatives no longer
even include mod_perl.

While all of this can be worked around, I can’t recommend going to the trouble
if you don’t have a legacy code base to get working again, and not even then in
most cases.

We ported our web app to Dancer.  It was quite a bit of work, but we’re very
happy with the new framework.

I wrote a longish review of Dancer as compared to Apache::ASP here on this list
about a year back: http://goo.gl/kDQB5b