Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to announce AspectJ 1.9.7 is released.

To read more about the enhancements (like Java 15 and 16 support), take a
look at the readme here
<https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/eclipse/org.aspectj/blob/master/docs/dist/doc/README-197.html>
.

The most serious change in 1.9.7 is actually to the project infrastructure.
I want to thank Alexander Kriegisch who has spent a significant amount of
effort on AspectJ 1.9.7 bringing it into the 21st century and making the
repository more approachable for new developers. This includes tackling
perhaps the most difficult problem which is how we manage the patch we make
to the Eclipse Compiler for Java in order to add AspectJ support. Rather
than a manually patched repo that was dropped as a binary into AspectJ, the
patched JDT Core is now a project in its own right:
https://github.com/eclipse/aspectj.eclipse.jdt.core. This repo can now be
kept up to date via regular git commands, and is now consumed as a proper
dependency by AspectJ.

If you want to get to grips with developing AspectJ, I encourage you to
checkout the repository readme
<https://github.com/eclipse/org.aspectj/blob/master/README.md>.

We are also now all in on GitHub. With 1.9.7 AspectJ is not a mirror of an
eclipse git repository, it is now a real repository against which pull
requests can be filed and processed. As part of this move we are also fully
embracing GitHub issues (rather than bugzilla) - so please raise anything
at GitHub in the future.

You can grab the standalone installer from the AspectJ releases page at
GitHub:
https://github.com/eclipse/org.aspectj/releases/tag/V1_9_7

And finally, the release is up at maven central !

Enjoy!
The AspectJ Team