Ram:

>  could have been triggered by what you wrote earlier:

**** Yes, I agree that I might have contributed to that--to an extent.

It would be nice, if the 'markhowa' progeny took
more interest in the goings on in the lands of
their 'matamoh' ( foremothers--you heard it here
first :-)). Not unfortunate. Bad choice of word
on my part.

But our discourses being the never ending story
it is, all connected to words written or
attitudes displayed, bound by context, it is also
not difficult to assess where Umesh's sentiments
lie. In that his response was not necessarily the
sole product of my unfortunate use of the word
unfortunate.

>  >> Aren't Indians able to mind their own business? From what I read all the
>>  time, Indians are  interested in minding pother peoples' business more than
>>  their own.

**** I do stand by that assessment Ram. It is a
desi-cultural trait. South Asian in general. In
that it does extend to some Kharkhowas too, even
though my assessment here is that it is to a
lesser extent than some other desis.

>  >Thats quite an indictment. :)

Do you dispute that?  Regardless, rest assured,
you are entitled to your opinion too. Far be it
for me,the not-so-humble anti-Indian kharkhowa,
than to deny you, the desi-patriot, that right to
disagree :-).

Also, on the issue of the ethnic Assamese being
tarred and feathered together with other Indians
, on account of geographical boundaries or forced
political
bondage, isn't exactly a defendable argument. As
you might have noticed, I explained to someone
calling me an Indian, that it is an incorrect
perception: I WAS an Indian national. That was
thirty years back. Today I am an American
national. And my ethnicity is Assamese. I don't
know how I could be labeled an Indian :-).

c-da