> Even in officer level posts - if your father or relative has been in the army (mostly "martial races" - Rajputs and Sikhs -then >you have a better chance of getting in.

well i beg to differ on that. the regiments in the indian army are all pre-independent era ...the britishers formed them and they have retained their names..their identity....though the recruitment was more or less strictly based on caste, community , even villages they aren't anymore today esp. in the officer ranks. the other ranks like the jawans etc are usually recruited on the basis of their community. and there's a logic behind this. it binds the jawans amongst themselves. more often than not one'll find people from the same villages in one battalion or regiments. furthermore, people from the hilly regions are better for mountain warfare ( it was the gurkha, naga and kumaon regiment who took the top honours in kargil) simillarly, the rajputana, sikh regiments are better in plains or deserts etc. as they call, its in their genes!

as for the officer ranks, its simply that not many sits for the entrance exams. even till some years back not many students in assam were aware of exams like NDA-NA, CDSE etc. they either wanted to be doctors or engineers or maybe lawyers...not a defence officer. i have seen atleast 30 guys from the north and west of india who dropped out of IITs to join NDA. as far as assam is concerned i dont know of anyone doing that. do u guys know?? maybe the better question would be, would you let your son/brother drop out of IIT-D to join NDA??? most probably the answer will be no. the opportunity cost would be lot higher than what you would expect to get. right??

now for the chances of a bengali or assamese getting into the army in the lower ranks. its as good as any other indian. but the only problem is that there aren't many takers for it. the only reason why there are a lot less assamese than, say, sikh is that not many wants to join the defence forces...but the recent stampedes in the recruitment rallys or camps indicates the change in mentality and attitude.

btw, assam rifles is the oldest regiment in india.

regards,
tridip

Barua25 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Even in officer level posts - if your father or relative has been in the army (mostly "martial races" - Rajputs and Sikhs -then >you have a better chance of getting in.

In this respect, the British were racist in that they believed in the racial superiority of people. In fact they not only believed and honored the Hindu caste system, but also took advantage of it. They used to employ the Brahmins for office work.  Similarly they openly gave preference to the martial races for recruitment into the army. Sikhs, Rajputs and the Gurkhas were the most preferred races for military. A guy from Assam or Bengal will probably have a low chance of getting into the military specially in the lower ranks. I think it is still the case although they may not say it openly. It will be interesting to see the percentage of different Indian ethnic groups in the military and that might reveal the facts.
RB