Raaiz:

Notun bochhor xubechha.

Bohu dinor murot kiba eta likhibor mon goicche. Upaai nai:-)

Culturally, I see a move from "Hobo Diok" to "Upaai Nai" as a great sign of
progress. Hobo Diok sympolizes quiet acceptance of all that is, but not
necessarily any understanding of it. The neighbor walks up to me with a list of
problems with the water supply in the neighborhood and rattles on for half an
hour. I listen silently and with a meaningful sigh say, hobo diok. The
mathematician walks up to me and harangues me for hours about the problem of
finding solution to elliptical functional equations, I listen silently and end
with a meaningful sigh, hobo diok. There is no way to differentiate between
these two hobo dioks. No way to say the first one was a meaningful statement
based on an understanding of the problems and the second was a way to get rid
of a madman in a polite oxomiya manner. With the passing of time, I perfect
this to an art. I no longer want to understand problems. I no longer wish to
see the world for what it is. I lose interest in what you try to tell me in
such an animated fashion. It might me about my house burning up - but I no
longer wish to find out. I stare vacantly and say hobo diok. It works every
time. No one thinks less of me. No one knows I have long lost consciousness. I
blend in perfectly without knowing what I blend in to.

Upaai Nai is quite another cup of tea. It implies a recognition of reality. It
implies you understand exactly what is morally or socially expected of you. You
also understand the exact social and economic incentives that make it
imperative for you to not live up to that expectation. And you are not running
away from it all. You stand up boldly and look the other person in the eye -
you say, look I know am supposed to be eating an orange now, that would make my
mommy so happy, but you see - here are the reasons why I have no incentive to
eat an orange, it would be stupid of me to eat an orange under these
circumstances - it would gravely reduce my personal welfare - it might even be
suicidal - (and I am no longer ashamed to make this explicit)- I shall,
therefore, suck on my lollipop instead.
Ki korim bhaai, upaai nai.

Santanu.