Title: RE: [Assam] What prevents India from holding a plesbicite
Hi Santanu:

A few quick thoughts about your thoughts. Gotta run for a bunch of meetings this morning.

>Is that unconstitutional? I mean, is it unconsitutional to demand an amendment >to the constitution? I don't think so.

*** I don't know the answer. But since the constitution was NOT something given down to a bearded man on a mountain top engraved in stone tablets by God himself, and it was something devised by imperfect men, who did NOT represent all of the disparate constituents of the union and under circumstances not entirely under their control and/or free will; one will have to believe that it is an instrument that should and could be amended and corrected, to reflect the need of the times.

There is nothing inherently sacrosanct about a constitution. Much more so in the Indian context, because it is violated by its custodians everyday, with the institutions of governance UNABLE to prevent its debasement. The Indian constitution's sanctity is a myth, created by people in power, by majoritarian diktat, and not thru democratic means where minority rights have credible and effective built-in protections.

*** The question of the constitutional constraints in dealing with the issue of secession aspirations of a people could arise ONLY if the constitution has been mutually acceptable with a credible track-record for safeguarding the interests of the many disparate constituents of the union, as they were promised at the time of accession.

Take for example the case of Manipur, in which the accession was forced by imprisonment of its King by a lowly Indian army Brigadier at the orders of Sardar Patel.

If it is not so accepted by EVEN ONE of the constituents, then it is fair game to be disavowed by the aggrieved party. That would be a natural law.

Oh, yes there would be the issue of might is right. Just as it has played out in the subcontinent since independence.

And that is why the armed rebellions.

More later!