From: "Barua25" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ram Sarangapani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: "mc mahant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,<assam@assamnet.org>
Subject: Re: [Assam] MC Mahanta's bamboo-reinforcement
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:15:56 -0500

>How can you be in the middle? I doubt, if one could find anyone (Assamese) who is neither here nor there :-)

Are you sure all the people of Assam either for or against independence?  Many people may not support independence simply because at present they may not see anything to support.  It does not mean however that all those people are against independence of Assam.

>I was not aware of this.

This is basic elementary history stuff which all people of Assam should know.

>But if this the case, then the most important question  is:  Why this movement for independence? Are the pro->independence people just brushing aside history? Why are they now claiming otherwise?

Well there can be movement for independence without the support of history based on the present state of affairs if the people are for independence for whatver reasons. But I don't see any movement on this basis.  I don't see any discussions or debates on this in a democratic process. Do you see any? Any independence movement based on Assam's past history since Yandabu Xondhi is rather weak now and will get weaker everyday, unlike that of the Nagas who has a stronger claim and who has been fighting for their independence since 1940s. (Please note that we Assamese never supported the independence movement of the Nagas and rather supported the GOI in supressing the Nagas, BTW).

>I thought that this independence movement was not based on cultural or historical differences or events, but on the >aspirations of a few people for power.

I think you are wrong again. There are cultural and historical differences. That is the crux of the problem. History, language, culture, dress, food, religion - Assamese are different than the rest of the Indians.  However, in Assam there is a conflict between the Aryan and Mongoloid culture. Since independence and before, caste Hindu Assamese intellectuals are pulling towards Pan Indian Hindu culture undermining much of the Mongoloid culture and diluting much of the Assamese original culture.   The attempt to abolish the name 'Assam' (which is an Assamese word derived from the word 'Shyam' which is based on original Tai-Ahom source) is a latest case in point angainst the supression of the Mongolid culture.  However, Assam is at present without any cultural or political leader to make things right, and nobody is protesting openly. However all these pent up anger will lead Assam into much darker future where all ethnic groups fighting against each other.

RB