>I even talked to quite a few people, and NGOs in Guwahati, some quite influential,  about this. The usual response >was lukewarm. They reminded me that Assam has far too many, more important problems to be worried about >Assam or Asom, and this issue was way down the list.
>Moreover, they were least worried about the impending doom to their identity as Assamese or even Sanskritization >of Assamese.

Ram:
What you are saying is the symptom of of bigger disease.
1) Assamese are not interested in illegel immigration from Bangadesh. (Have you seen any protest during the last 10 years on this? Anybody doing a investigative writing on this?)
2) Assamese are not interested in Brahmaputra Flood problem. These comes and goes, who cares. (Any writing or reports or protests?)
3) Assam is lowest in the economic ladder in the North East not to speak of India. (Have you seen any editorial on this?)
4) Assam has the worst corruption in India. (Anybody crying or trying to do anything?)
5) Assamese are not interested what name its state have, Assam or Asom? May be it will go without a name.  (Have you seen a single Editorial on this?)Who cares?)
6) Assam Tea production is going down (Anybody trying to offer any solution?)
7) Assam is suffereing fron century's worst draught. (Any analysis by any paper. ) Who cares?
8) Who cares how one writes the name of the Assamese cultural Guru's name: Sankaradeva or Xonglordew? (What is your problem mister?)

These are the symptoms of a disease of a nation. Do you know what is the disease? These are the symptoms of a dying nation.
Next time if some NGO says it has more important things to do than any of these, you should know that they are the problem.
Rajen Barua