Yes
Mamoni Indira Goswami declined Padmashri which was
conferred to her after she already won Jnyanpith in
2000. Generally people winning the Jnyanpith (the
highest literary honor in India)awards like Amrita
Pritam, Mahadevi Varma, Mahesweta Devi etc have been
bestowed higher awards like Padma vibhushan.
So most probabaly it was refused on "principle".
Regards

Chittaranjan Pathak
--- "Alpana B. Sarangapani"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

---------------------------------

Thanks for the information.

Very well put. Also, it is great to see the names of
these Assamese writers.

Is GOA too busy to find any of the reknowned writes
that are mentioned here. They have been writing and
making the Assamese literature and culture for decades
- even people living outside of Assam for decades know
about their contribution. How could they've been
missed?

I have been out of Assam for many many years, but
heard of Hare Krishna Deka, Bhaben Barua, et el also
being talented literary writers.

>winner Mamoni Roysam Goswami is also not a Padma
award
>winner. If Assam government could nominate Shillong

If I remember correctly, Mamoni R. Goswami was awarded
'Padmashri' after she won the 'Gnan-Pith' award, but
she declined it for whatever reason.

- A. Sarangapani

Spring, Texas. USA.