*****It may be mentioned here that a number of States
requested the Centre a few month years ago to do away
with the Raj hangover of the ICS officer (now IAS
officer) system, and instead elevate the State Civil
Service (ACS in Asom) officers to do all sorts of jobs
that were being done by the IAS officers, bringing
necessary modifications.

I find the last part interesting and encouraging.
During my years in Delhi , I met quite a few IAS
aspirants from Bihar and North India who were very
much conversant with current affairs like economic
liberalization, Iraq-Kuwait war, Babri masjid
imbroglio, role of IPKF in Sri lanka (these were the
affairs current back then). They could go on for hours
on these. But when it came to naming capitals of
northeaster states, they invariably used to draw
blank. They were not bothered or ashamed as they knew
this type of awareness was not needed to see them
through the mains and interview. Those amongst us who
might have interacted with hoards from states like
Bihar , MP, Orissa camping in DU area for years must
have noticed this.
And when some one amongst them gets the Assam cadre,
the first reaction will be
"Kaha fas gaye yaar"
By the way Karbi Anglong district website shows some
52 deputy commissioners in 55 years.

regards

Chittaranjan