Hello Ramda,

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to sound off on my hobby horse - history of SE Asia. You mentioned ...."there seems to be a lot of influence."

There were a lot of influences but most went one way - from India to China via Buddhist Scholars or via South East Asia. It is not widely known that for over a 1000 years Sanskrit and Indian culture was widely embraced in South East Asia in a manner very reminiscent of the enthusiasm for Americana that has captured the whole world now. In that advance too the primary motives were growth of profits through trade, and a sense that the globally connected and laissez-faire culture that came with the foreigners was going to raise the standard of life of all who adopted it. Just as there was no military to reinforce the advance of Microsoft, Mickey Mouse or Michael Jackson, so too was the spread of Indianisation. There has been little sense that the advance had been planned or co-ordinated by political powers in the center of innovation, whether in India then, or in the USA now. And the linguistic effects are similar too: Sanskrit, like English now, had advanced as a lingua franca for trade, international business and cultural promotion. [ Nicholas Ostler's Empires of the World - A language history of the world has a full treatment on the spread and influence of Sanskrit in the first millenium]

India can take the credit too for the spread of Islam in Indonesia and Malaya since it was the Gujrati merchants who were responsible for converting the Acehnese.

best regards

Rajiv

[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, assam@assamnet.org
Subject: Re: [Assam] Some Assam rare book/map

This is very interesting.  Browsing thru any of the "Chinese" supermarkets in the US,  you come across "Leeche". We say "lechu". Don't which came from which, but it does seem there was a lot of influences.

--Ram