mm

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:15:29 -0600From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]: [Assam] Power in Assam's backyard could become a reality - IANS

Power (the lack of it) has plagued the state for a long time. It is very
encouraging that Assam's Power Minisiter Bordoloi is not only thinking about
this seriously, but also out of the box.
--Ram
_______________
This could become a reality in Assam with the government all set to replicate a
model using a turbine that can capture energy from the flow of water without
dams.
'We have formulated the Assam Small Hydro Power Development Policy to encourage
individuals or communities to set up power plants from 1 MW to 25 MW by
generating electricity from the many rivulets, streams, and rivers in the state
with the government reimbursing 90 percent of the cost,' Power Minister Pradyut
Bordoloi told IANS .
The dream project to harness the power of river currents to generate enough
electricity to power all the towns and villages is based on a path breaking
technique devised by Alexander Gorlov, an emeritus mechanical engineering
professor and director of the Hydro-Pneumatic Power Laboratory at Northeastern
University at Boston in the US.
'We have arranged a consultant to work out and liaise to import the technology
that is already successful in Brazil and South Korea,' the minister said.
Brazil is currently producing about 1,200 MW of electricity based on Gorlov's
model of tapping power from flowing water.
The estimated cost for a hydro plant generating 1 MW of electricity would be
about Rs.50 million.
'To make this mission a reality, we have made the process simple - no
permission required to set up the plant, but just a concurrence from the
government so that modalities could be worked out to buy any excess power
generated from such small projects,' Bordoloi said.
Gorlov's turbine is unique because it can generate power from flowing water,
not necessarily on a high gradient. With Assam boasting of many such sources of
flowing water in the form of rivers, streams, and rivulets, the model has the
potential to click.
'With the new Northeast Industrial Policy to be announced next week, we expect
certain incentives for the power sector, and this model could just work wonders
and revolutionise the entire power sector in general,' the minister said.
At present Assam buys electricity of about 600 MW a day from the national grid.
Just 18 percent of homes in rural areas are electrified. Assam needs about 800
MW of electricity daily, and the demand is expected to double by 2011.
'If this project works out according to plan, not only would power reach the
villages and rural areas, the economy of the state could just boom,' Bordoloi
said.
The idea to hunt for new technologies to generate power was floated by Chief
Minister Tarun Gogoi when he recalled seeing such small machines set up in the
backyard of British tea planters in Assam to light up their bungalows.
'My father worked in a tea garden and I remember as a kid seeing the sahib
operating a fan to cool himself using some machine set up near a stream. I told
Bordoloi to find out if we could do the same thing once again,' Gogoi said.

By Syed Zarir Hussain (Staff Writer, © IANS)