DD: What you are forgetting is this - not everyone in Assam agrees with ULFA --

*** No I did not forget that. That is why I wrote:

"There are those of us who are not handicapped by such a mindset, will continue to speak up for Assam's rights."

And we shall.

incessant insult of the clueless (in your words)

*** And I stand by the characterization, because it was unequivocally demonstrated in the posts concerned.

Perhaps DD will tell us WHY they are NOT 'clueless'? That would PROVE the point.

*** Just because a lot of people say something, does not make it right. A bunch of fools saying a bunch of foolish things do not automatically become cleansed by the NUMBERS.

If ULFA wants the support of the rational people of Assam, let ULFA state >clearly in detail what its " modern, truly democratic state with a rule of law" >is and How " the right to have full control over its resources" will be >utilized to make everyone's life better in Assam.

*** Those were MY words. If DD wants ULFA's responses, he ought to address ULFA and ask them that question. *I* ,Chandan Mahanta, do not speak for ULFA. But I do have reasons to believe that those are ideals ULFA does harbor.

Now on a side note, if DD seeks such assurances from ULFA, he might write to them. But an ordinary observer could surmise that DD's willingness to give ULFA that support,regardless of ULFA's plans for Assam, in view of DD's decades of expressions regarding ULFA, would be suspect :-). Thus a serious response from ULFA to his request may or may not be forthcoming is how *I* would see it. But things do change. If were in DD's shoes, and did have a change of heart, I might try it. Nothing to lose.

*** But considering the responses to my posts on reforming Assam governance from those netters who have been involved in trashing ULFA all these years, amounting to nothing more than "WE DON't WANT" such reforms, because Oxomiyas are unable to deliver or they are no different from what exists today or impractical due to possible boundary disputes or other FEEBLE excuses, does not
make DD's claim here very believable.

But *I* am always open for any chance of progress. So good luck!

*** Finally, I ask DD too: WHY should those of who have every confidence , not only on ourselves, but on the people of Assam to be able to deliver on a reformed system, as good as the best in the world, advocate ULFA's surrender and advise Assam to accept and be happy with what has NOT worked for sixty plus years of Indian misrule, as even MOST thoughtful Indian commentators would readily agree ?

cm