Well said KJD. There are several issues one needs to take vis-a--vis SB's
nuance of TRADERS (and C'da's) regarding that these traders want some
negotiation.

First of all, insurgents *do not want* to be classified as Terrorists - if
one happens to read across the board (not just the anti-establishment (Read
Govt.)) research and conflict resoultion papers about armed groups, a
clearer picture emerges.
Many problems are associated with that label. That is why pro-ULFA
sympathizers are trying very hard to pass off the ulfa as a"freedom" or
"insurgent" group.

The problems that arise are: once included in the sh**t list (like ULFA in
the the US list) its difficult even if peace comes about to get off that
list.
No country can overtly side with terrorists.

Second, countries do not want to "negotiate" with NON-State groups like the
ULFA. Any solutions found cannot be assigned to a group whose make up (and
accountabilty) is highly suspect. Remember the ulfa released by the GOi -
they promptly took up arms again.

The more a country keeps talking to such groups, the more they are given
legitamacy and recognition - and thats what these groups and their
sympathizers want.

C'da keeps asking "do they want the ULFA to just disappear?"

Lets turn this around, does he or other sympathizers or the ULFA think that
the GOI or India will just vanish into the thin air, just because they want
to wish it away? Do they think, that Delhi and the GOA is filled with less
than intelligent officials who have no clue what and how to deal with groups
like the ulfa?

I would say this - that local/national politics gets in the way of what the
GOI/Army might really want to do. That is what makes them go soft.

IMHO - some talks should definitely be there - but the GOI must be adamant
that certain things like lay down the arms, and the "S" word be off the
table.

It is nave to think that rebel groups would simply give up the battle and
surrender >once they lose militarily to government forces. After all, even
the most >elementary lesson of armed conflicts suggests that military power
is only one >factor among many in determining outcomes.

Maybe that the "army" is only a part of the soltuion, But no govt. can sit
by quietly, while a group of thugs go on a rampage.
But it looks like when an "insurgent" group seeks only violence as it main
arsenal, then that is the response they should be ready for, instead of
having their supporters fan out and cru Uncle!

Incidentally, the Khalistan demand in the Punjab started with a bang,
continued with violence, they even blew up an Air India flight, and then
they are all gone with a wimper. The GOI got its way. The Russians (I think)
have also got the better of the Chechnian "insurgents". The Chinese, just
shoot all the "insurgents" when
they start giving a bit of trouble.

I would like to ask experts here - how many of these low-intensity armed
conflicts (whether their cause is legitimate or not) have actually become a
"country" (in the modern era - within the last 50 years of so)? What are the
ultimate payoffs? It would be interesting to find out.

--Ram